Mandatory Play Rule
The following shall be the Minimum Mandatory Play Rule (MPR) for all Pop Warner teams: 16-25 Players (10 Plays), 26-30 Players (8 Plays) and 31-35 Players (6 Plays).
Each league may set a higher number of Mandatory Plays, but never less than the minimum set by PWLS. All MPRs should be based on eligible players at the time of the game.
- The plays must be from the line of scrimmage.
- Kickoffs, extra points, QB intentionally spiking the ball and free kicks shall not be used in fulfilling the MPR requirement.
- A play shall not count toward fulfillment of the MPR if the play
- results in a penalty which causes the down to be replayed.
- All players shall be provided their mandatory plays by participation in “active” plays, without the intent to minimize the action or integrity of the plays. Plays such as, but not limited to, having the center snap the ball to the quarterback, and then the quarterback fall to the ground, while substitutes are playing the other positions, shall NOT be considered as active plays.
- All players shall receive their mandatory plays by the end of the third quarter, or they shall enter the game at the start of the fourth quarter, and remain in the game until they have received their required number of plays.
- Failure to adhere to MRP requirements will result in forfeiture of game in addition to enforcement policies.
Each League shall establish its own system for enforcing the MPR, and must print a simple handout describing its MPR in sufficient quantity so that a copy is made available to each coach throughout the entire League, before the beginning of the season. The Nationally preferred system is that used in the National games.